Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I took a Taxi to the Occupation

That's the gonna be the name of my country album. Kidding. But I really did take a taxi to the Wall Street Occupation after lunch in Chelsea, but before drinks at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central. Now that's my kind of revolution!

All jokes aside it was heartening to witness and document what was going on down on Wall Street. I am also intrigued by this anarcho internet mass noun group Anonymous. Their methods of decision making and information dissemination is fascinating. Basically, they are an online community acting anonymously in a coordinated manner, usually toward a loosely self-agreed goal, like the Occupation of Wall Street or crashing Visa and Mastercard because they stopped taking transactions going to Wikileaks. I feel like it is the ultimate articulation of that AdBusters/Culture Jammers/rtmark.com vibe. I also feel like I am supremely behind the 8 ball in terms of the internet and its potential, or rather how I should be engaging and participating in the internet.

Check em out for yourself: http://anonops.blogspot.com/

I have also been reading this book as of late called You Are Not A Gadget by Jaron Lanier. It came highly recommended to me by the staff at Rand McNally.  Dude feels like the internet is not living up to its potential, and that programs like Google and Facebook are part of the problem in so much as these to internet Titans reduce the human experience/expression to aggregate data to be shuffled to and fro like hair on a barber shop floor.

Anyways, the Occupation is on the corner of Liberty and Maiden Lane at Liberty Plaza. Democracy is a full contact sport!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Svpply List